Friday, September 19, 2008

Sept. 19 (Friday)

Joel is feeling a tiny bit better today. I am now having to wear this beautiful, large yellow gown and gloves. The gowns only come in one size XXXXXXL. I look just like a big fat yellow chick. But, everyone has to do this since his resistance is so low and this is a precaution so that no one brings any germs in. We will have to do this until he goes home. Do you realize how hard it is to type with latex gloves on? He walked a little today around the floor and is eating slightly more than before. I have to make a Chic-Fil-A run every day because he does not like the chicken in the Food Service dept. Today he ate yogurt for breakfast, a half a chicken breast for lunch and yogurt for dinner. He still cannot have any visitors especially during this critical time. I bought him a personal CD player and he has been listening to his favorite Southern Gospel group Signature Sound. He still hasn't lost much of his hair and he was commenting yesterday that wouldn't it be a hoot if he didn't lose his hair after we gave him the buzz cut. I still think he looks great with short hair. But, whatever comes his way, he never complains.

2 comments:

PaPa said...

What a GOOD man! I'm proud to call him my friend! (I always have been.) I would love to see the big fat yellow chick. (Now you know what I felt like - without the yellow.) Judy, remember that I need a picture of Joel for my Sunday School boys. If you will mail it to me or give it to Ron or Brenda I will get it duplicated. Our class picks someone each year for our prayer focus. Joel is it this year. He's in good company. In the past we prayed for Tom Hanson when he was heading up the swat team and Ray Coleman when he was in Iraq. I'd stack my boys prayers up against anybody except the little old ladies in the church! Maybe Joel's hair will come back Red. I quit worrying obout my hair turning grey. It's all going to fall out before it gets a chance to turn grey anyway.
Judy, you are a real winner too!
You and Joel keep hanging in there.
There are better days ahead.
Also please tell Jodi and Matt that we are praying for them too! I know that it's really tough for them. Joel, I hope that you don't have what happened to me happen to you. One day I was sitting on my portable potty in my hospital room.
I had just talked to Carolyn on the phone and she was coming upstairs to my room. There was a knock on the door and I wondered why Carolyn would bother to knock.
So I said come on in - not even thinking that it might be somebody else. Brother, the lady bringing the food trays got a real show that day! I'm sure my face was red but she didn't see that side of me. Hang in there my dear friends! Ed

Ron said...

Joel,
Greetings from Kokomo, Indiana! I just wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration to me and you always have been. You have always treated others with dignity and respect. You are a true southern gentleman.
Few of the mentors that I have had over the years have stood the test of time like you. My prayers are with you.
Pastor Ron Hurlocker